Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beginnings

A new friend said, "Why don't you write a blog?".  My initial thought was that I wouldn't think anyone would read about my babble.  And then again, why not?

    I have been reading adoption blogs recently.  I think the reasons are many, but the biggest one is that my "baby" is getting ready to leave for college and I am feeling a mix of emotions.   It is time.  I would not do anything to hold her back from this next adventure in life.  I am thrilled for her and a little sad for me. College.  17 years ago I brought her home from China as a ten month old baby.  It was the two of us in the world.  Mama and daughter. Two girls in the tub, in the house, in the world.
And now, she is off. 

    When she was a little girl, wings were a part of every outfit.  She has a pair of white wings that were worn with pajamas, dresses, leggings and just plain underpants.   My girl could FLY!   We read stories about fairies (and later about broomsticks and Quidditch), we had a resident fairy leaving mysterious notes to be found throughout the house.  Wings were essential wear to the grocery, for a walk through town and on the playground.

     Now her wings are spread, if not visibly, at least psychologically.  College applications from all over the country are spread on her bed.  She is in Spain for a term.  Last summer she worked away from home. Last Fall she sailed to the Caribbean for 10 weeks.  All in preparation for leaving home. She is standing on the edge of adult life with her wings outspread.  Yes, she is wearing wings, again.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are doing this. And what a way to start...the wings to me represent not only your daughter, but you and your wings. Looking forward to following you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete