Sunday, November 18, 2012

She's Baaack!

         First, because sometimes I just have to start with the news, I am stunned that people are HOARDING Twinkies due to the news that Hostess is closing its doors.   Hoarding and Twinkies written in the same sentence just seems wrong somehow.   I ate them as a child (most people over age 20 did, I guess) and once (just once, I promise) I bought a package and offered one to my daughter, just so she could see what a Twinkie was and say she had eaten one.  I do not think she finished it and she thought it was utterly disgusting.  I am sorry that 18,000 people are losing their jobs in the industry, but losing Twinkies (and related food items) doesn't strike me a a tragedy.   The loss of jobs is devastating to those families and communities however and they have my sympathy.

    The beloved child has returned from her sojourn in Spain.   She had a fabulous time, loved her host family, loved Segovia and the country in general, loved tapas, and is now wondering how she can get back to Spain in the least amount of time.  Coming home to a small New England town is hard, and our town does not have a lot to offer to teens and young adults.  It is a great place to raise children, absolutely wonderful, but not a spectacular place to be 18 and spreading one's wings.   So, beloved child says " I can't wait to go back to Spain." and my heart breaks a little bit.  I understand, I sympathize, I admire her desire to travel and explore and be independent, and yet, I want her to want to be home, at least for a few days.  Please?

     And then, the homecoming....stuff everywhere, hair in the tub, computer on the table, dishes...on the mantel, in her room, and detritus spread everywhere letting me know she's baaaack.    Already have had the discussion that "I'll get to it later" is not acceptable.  World traveler or not, some things don't change.

     She's home.  I can see her and hear her again.   She is slowly telling tales of her adventures and forming plans that will be her life away from home, soon.    I am willing to make her grilled cheese and tomato soup at 10 p.m. because she won't be here very much longer to ask me to do it.   Every moment from here on I am aware that she is leaving soon.   I want to spoil her a little because my window of opportunity is drawing to a close.

    Parenting a child who is ready to fly is not for the faint of heart.  

1 comment:

  1. I'll be watching you closely on this front.My heart aches at this post. Re-entry/reverse culture shock can be hard on everyone. Time is a great equalizer.

    ReplyDelete