Thursday, November 22, 2012

Perfect Blue Sky Thanksgiving

      Growing up in Northern California, I was used to going to the beach on Thanksgiving Day.  It might not have been warm, but most often it was sunny and comfortable with a sweatshirt or vest.   20+ years    in New Hampshire have most often brought freezing temperatures, rain, snow, grey skies or a combination thereof.   Today, 2012, it is a perfect blue sky day.

   Beloved daughter woke up and said, "Do you want to go for a walk with me this morning?"   How can you say no to that?  We walked, in the sunshine, laughing together.   No one can be silly like my girl when she is in the mood.  No one can make me laugh like she does.  Nothing, nothing can make me happier than her WANTING to walk with me on a beautiful day.

    Things to be thankful for:  smart, happy, healthy, often sarcastic, funny, generous child.
Kind, loving spouse.  Friends all over the country and world who try and stay in touch in one form of media or another (handwritten letters can make my day!).   I am thankful that we have enough food, shelter, healthcare, educational opportunities and that we have enough to share.   Thankful for our family, even if they make us crazy on occasion.  They are still there throughout the years.

   I am thankful for the people who allow me to care for their children.  Having little kids in my life is an ongoing gift.  William, Cooper, Ryan, Vivian for whom I babysit.  Jack, Annie, Aiden and Eliza  and all of the kids at the elementary school with whom I have read over the years, we have had so much fun together and watching you grow and learn to read is the BEST.   I am also thankful for the elderly people who populate my life through Meals on Wheels and the nursing home where I work.  Your grace and courage are inspiring.

     The moms whose blogs I read, the Facebook friends who share portions of their lives...thank you all of adding to my days with your stories and for reaching out into the "virtual world".

   I was not going to write a Thanksgiving blog, but reading the things that others had posted today, it seemed like an opportunity to say "Thank you".    So, to you who may read this note.  Thank you for being a part of my life.

      

1 comment: