Tuesday, November 20, 2012

To make you laugh

I wrote this note to a new friend who is going through struggles with her child and I hoped it would make her laugh.



C -
In your current state of exhaustion I thought, maybe you need to laugh a little.

Last week my spouse got the dog she has been wanting for a long, long time.  I caved in and said, "go ahead. get a dog."  I have been the hold out for a long time.   I know who the one who is home most of is - ME!  I know who cares about fur on the furniture.  ME!   But, last Sunday the dog "Pip" arrived from a foster home and previous to that a kill shelter somewhere in the South.

So, today, in between my morning job (running Meals on Wheels) and my afternoon job (nursing home social work one day a week, the other afternoon job is childcare) I was home to see my beloved daughter (home from Spain and school doesn't start until after Thanksgiving) and to see how the dog is faring, as overnight she developed a cough that sounds like she is going to puke.    I hook the dog to the leash and take her out for a quicky walk.  And, at the intersection of our road with the next, she sits down.  Actually she stands with her legs braced, as in "I am not moving and you can't make me".  And I stand there, like an idiot, talking to her like one talks with a toddler/pre-schooler.   "I would really appreciate it if you would come walk with me right now."   ( I am doing this in my best, rational mommy voice).  "Come on, Pip, I am cold and want to go home and have lunch."  Pip is unmoved by my words.  (more strongly) "Pip, COME".  She doesn't move.   I kneel and look her in the eye, "What's wrong?  Are you scared?" Neighbors are driving by wondering why I am standing in the road with a dog statue.    I am tugging the harness..."Come ON you silly dog!"  (no movement, just a visible tightening of muscles)    I pick her up and carry her (40 pound dog in my arms).   I get her to our yard and say "Let's go in the house now" and she looks at me like "You think I am moving for you?"     I end up carrying her into the house.  INTO THE HOUSE!

I have always believed that having a dog was like having a toddler that never grows up and she is proving me to be correct.   The only thing I did not do was take away privileges and offer cookies (I did not have any but I suggested to her that she could have a cookie when we got home).    People have told me for years to get a dog and I always said "I want a baby , not a dog".  Babies eventually grow up - dogs are perpetual toddlers.   And you know what?  I was right.

2 comments: