Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Night before Finals

   It has been a couple of trying weeks since I last wrote.  Beloved Child does not like Winter term and has been in survival mode of late.   "Not fair." and "So tired" have been her litany, and then something turned around and she has been happier.  Was it the special light we bought for her room (full spectrum bulbs)?  Was it seeing vacation creeping closer?   Perhaps it was the positive comments from teachers?  It doesn't really matter why things improved, just that they did and we all can rejoice.

    Last night Beloved Child offered to make dinner. Her Spain trip introduced her to tapas and she received a tapas cookbook for Christmas, so last night, stuffed mushrooms!   She was so proud and excited to offer us something she actually used a recipe to make. (For those of you who are wondering why it has taken her so long, keep wondering!)   3/4 cup of butter, 4 cloves of garlic, a small amount of sherry and 12 regular/largish but not huge mushroom caps and bread crumbs.   Subtly garlicky it was not!!  She made pasta as a second course and sliced strawberries for the dessert. Over and over she asked "Is it okay?  Do you like it?  Aren't they great?"  I am still smiling.  I forget that she can still be as enthusiastic as a little girl sometimes and I love this aspect of her.

   Tonight she is studying, recording a song for French class and not panicking, even though finals are this week.   I think we will all survive.   There is nothing nicer than a happy baby, even when the happy one is 18.   Halleluia.

P.S.  She asked me to read another essay and I redeemed myself after my last horrible comments. So happy she gave me another chance.   Some days life is really good.

2 comments:

  1. Those mushrooms sound amazing. I add garlic to everything so they sound perfect for me :-) I remember how stressful finals were--ugh. I hope it's going all right for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad she went to you again for feedback on an essay and that you had a chance to try it another way. Fantastic. And that's great that she was excited to prepare a meal for you!

    ReplyDelete