Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Eve 2013

   At this moment, on Valentine's Eve, I can definitely say that Beloved Child has no idea that tomorrow is Valentine's Day. She is doing her Stats homework and still has English, Spanish French and science to finish.  Tomorrow she will jet off to school, in the usually chaotic sprint to have everything in her bag and ready to go.  She will have had her toast and juice and put on her makeup (new ritual of late) and said "See ya, Love ya" as her keys rattle in her hand.     Later in the day she will tell me, "I meant to make a card, but I forgot (or, I was busy)".   And you know what?  It is really okay.

    I love Valentine's Day.  One of the reasons that I love it is that I feel no need to be on the receiving end of cards.  If I get a card, I am happy, but I consider this, oddly enough, to be one of the great pressure-free holidays of the year. Hallmark and the flower industry do not seduce me.  The diamond sellers and chocolate makers cannot guilt me into buying their wares. (Okay, maybe the chocolate makers get my cash!)  I send cards because I actually enjoy making Valentines and writing letters.
    Last week I wrote my holiday (read: Christmas etc.) cards and put in the note that since Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year are both this week I consider my cards to still be "of the season".   I mailed them off happily, knowing that the recipients probably will not be getting a ton of mail this week so a card for whatever the occasion will be welcomed.

   Tomorrow morning, Beloved Child WILL know that it is Valentine's Day because there will be strawberries and a can of spray whipped cream* at her place at the breakfast table.  I will make her a construction paper heart and maybe cut her toast with heart cookie cutters.   I hope she will think it is silly and cute.   Next year she will be at college and I can send a care package, and that will be fun too.

     Yep, I like Valentine's Day.   If I get "See ya, Love ya" as she runs out the door, I'll be happy.

* Spray whipped cream is her idea of a big treat.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this. Spray whipped cream IS a huge treat. I will get some tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddo thinks sprayed whipped cream is the BEST as well... and, that's exactly what he had on his breakfast of pancakes and berries on Valentine's Day! Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete