Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Please Don't Answer Honestly.

  I screwed up big time last night.    I did something that my daughter will hopefully forget but that she will likely remember for a long time.  I wish I could undo it but since life doesn't have a delete button, I am just having to apologize, feel guilty and move on, eventually.  

     At 9:30 at night, Beloved Child came to me and said "Do you want to hear my essay?".  Of course I said "yes".   She began to read it to me and from the beginning I knew I was not going to love it.  I tried to stay quiet and listen all the way through.   It was cliche and had nothing in it that offered a window into why the reader should care about what she was saying.  I pointed out a glaring error and one word that was not a word and let her finish.   She asked "What do you think?" and I said (cue doomsday music) "I hate it. There is nothing in it that tells me about you or why you care about this issue."    Her eyes teared up.   She didn't know what to say.  I didn't know what to say.  I felt like garbage and realized that even when asked for my opinion, I should not give it in this context.  Writing does not come easily for her.  She can tell a story, but if asked to write one, she chokes.  She waits until there is a deadline and leaves little time for revision.  I am a jerk.    She will remember this until she dies and tell her children and grandchildren what I said to her when she was 18.

   I apologized verbally.  I told her I love her.  I wrote her a note telling her that I felt like a jerk and that I was sorry and if given another opportunity to read what she writes, I will do it differently.  I shoveled her car out from the snow this morning.  Neither of us mentioned the essay.  She left with a half hearted "goodbye" to go to school.  

     My tummy hurts.  My heart hurts.   I screwed up.   It is 7:56 a.m. and I am still feeling badly.  She may forgive, but won't likely forget.  Me either.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm hoping time soothes the pain for both of you. I've had a few experiences like this with my parents when I was college age. And while I still haven't forgotten it, I can now completely appreciate where it was coming and the fact that they just wanted me to represent myself the best that I could... even though I was hurt at the time. Hindsight is always a little clearer... no?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm sorry you're feeling so badly about this experience. It must be hard when your kids get to an age where they want feedback and you have feedback to give, but it's not great feedback! While it may have hurt her to hear those words from you, she is about to go off into the real world (well, the college world) and she will hear more and more tough criticism. Perhaps you can - after the sting wears off a bit - turn this into a learning lesson about criticism, one that you can both learn from. Hugs, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive yourself. Someday she will. And as Maya Angelou says, "when we know better, we do better." We're all human, we all make mistakes, apologies and humility go along way.

    ReplyDelete