Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Better Day

Less whiny today.  
Maybe I will sleep tonight.   
 A few things looking up. 
   Bright stars in the sky.

One of my very favorite children's books is "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, Awful, No Good and Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst.   As may be apparent from the title,  Alexander, age approximately 6, is having a bad day - nothing goes his way, from not getting a prize in his breakfast cereal to having his mom buy him sneakers in a color he doesn't like.   Everyone has days like Alexander.  Yesterday it was me.   I felt like a failure as a parent, as a daughter, as a friend and I could not get comfortable enough in my own skin to get to sleep.   I wanted a re-do of my day and to be able to start over and have everything be nice and tidy.   
      Today, I received an email from my mother suggesting a way that Beloved Child could participate financially in her Senior Project in a meaningful way.  My mom suggested that Child could contribute the equivalent of 1/2 the airplane ticket as a donation to the organization where she is doing her super cool project.  This makes TONS more sense than actually paying my mother , who does not need the money.    I felt much more at ease just having that as an option.
    Today Beloved Child got a college acceptance in the mail.  She received 2 others last Friday. She no longer has to worry (unreasonably but a natural fear) that she is a dud and that no school will accept her.  She now has options and probably there will be more to come.  Her mood is improved.
   Today we did NOT get the 4-6 inches of snow predicted, so I did not have to deal with the non delivery of Meals on Wheels to my clients, which would have been complicated following a long weekend.
             Today the sun was shining, which makes everything better.  The snow sparkled.   

      Thank you to you readers and friends who wrote me positive notes yesterday.  It helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment