Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Enter 2013

  
      This is the year Beloved Child leaves home to go to college.   She turned 18.  While she is still "my baby" she has the legal rights as an adult to chart her own course, choose a president, get married, pay her own bills.   One she is attempting to do, one she missed by being out of the country and one she has no interest in, at this time.  That just leaves paying the bills, which is still up to mama.

    Applications for schools have been sent and we are waiting for fat envelopes to come in return.  Summer jobs are being contemplated, what and where are TBD.  Every day brings a sigh, "I can't wait to graduate and go to college."  She wants an "away" job this summer, so my time with her at home is far shorter than the arrival of the next school year.    I wonder, "What am I going to do when she is gone?"   

    I have built these 17 years on being a mama.  I have chosen jobs and opportunities by how much time they give me to be at home.  I have picked our homes by school district and neighborhood possibilities for a child.   I have planned vacations and outings by what might interest my girl.  No more will she come home for supper, or stay around on a snow day.  No more trips to the library together.  She took herself to her last medical check up and eye doctor appointment.   It is so weird!

    Never would I dream of holding her back from her hopes and dreams.   Her excitement and curiosity are among her most special qualities.   She dreams and dreams BIG.  Travel, movement, adventure are integral to her personality.   Over and over I am reminded of why I call this blog "Wearing Wings Again". No longer is she satisfied to wear fabric wings and a fairy crown.   She is standing on the edge of our nest, poised to fly.  One, two, three....

   Tonight we played a competitive game of Boggle and then Yahtzee.   She wanted to play with me.
Inside, I was grinning the whole time.   I savor these moments.  I revel in them.  I want to hold them close and remember, when she is gone, that she is still my girl, and I am her mama. With or without wings unfurled, your mama I will always be, Beloved Child.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my heart. A new journey for both of you on the horizon. It is your turn to dream and dream big too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind comment on my blog. Seems we've had similar experiences lately reveling in the time we get with our babies, no matter their age. This was a beautiful post to and for your daughter. What an incredible blessing it will be for her in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna! I just set up an email for my blog, which seemed to be the best way to communicate with people directly -- I'm at growingournest(at)gmail.com. I'd LOVE your advice on the bread! I've been reading the Laurel's Kitchen bread book, but I confess it's intimidating me. I have no problem with the time commitment, since I'm home most afternoons and can do other things while I'm waiting for the next step. I REALLY want to learn this! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your daughter feels so supported that she can travel and see the world--very brave. And I already dread the day that my kiddo goes to Kindergarten, so it must be really hard! (and exciting). Hope she hears from the colleges she wants soon. It really sounds like you have done so much right. Do you mind if I link your blog to mine? (not that i have a readership, really, I just don't want to miss anything :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. I love reading your blog and seeing how your new adventure is unfolding. I wish blogs had been around when I first got Beloved Child from China.

      Delete