Sunday, December 16, 2012

11 a.m. 12-16-12

  I wish praying was enough.   I wish praying was enough when parents have lost their first graders to gun violence, when moms can't get mental health services for their kids, when our own kids ask "why?".

   I wish my prayers gave comfort to a dad this morning who is trying to explain to his 3 and 4 year old daughters why their big sister died.
  I wish there were enough candles to light up the homes that are swamped with a darkness that is internal and feels eternal.
   Everywhere I look this morning, Facebook, the newspaper, emails, people are asking "why", are raging against the unfair and  the unthinkable.  Everyone is wondering, "what will make a change?".

    I send you my prayers.  I light a candle for you.   I hug my own child tightly, more tightly than she would prefer.  I thank God for sparing my child from disaster.   I will try harder to be the change that we all want to see in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment